RSS

The day we were evacuated

 It's been a while since my last post. And I wanted to write. About the day my world went upside down. Everything was normal, I was out for lunch with my girls from work but the fire that had been around our city looked different today. I had a sick feeling. I called my sister koryn to show her what it looked like, because she lives nearby. Then I went back to work and they told me my sons school was being evacuated. I called Mike to tell him I was going home and he said you pack up just in case I'll get Camden. I woke my sister Karalee up from night shift told her I would be home soon and to start packing. I was home six minutes. I was grabbing clothes from each closet and the papers they tell you to bring. I did a quick glance over my house and thought it would only be a couple of days. Had I known my house would be gone forever I would've taken the extra few months to grab what meant something to me.

I left my house and my husband came home with my son. Camden was scared and wanted to go with me. We were now seperates. Camden and me , Karalee in one truck, Mike and the dog in the other. We were on the road but traffic wasn't moving and you could see flames now in the distance. Something told me to turn around and go down the old hill so I did. I gave Camden my shirt and told him to cover his eyes because I didn't know what we were going to see. I then called the radio to tell them to do the same. My car is almost on empty and there are no gas stations open. I helped a lady get to her cat then went to a school to pick up a family friends daughter after calling a long lost friend I saw on the roof of their house. I guess it was the selfishness in me that made me call them to reconnect. See how they were doing. We had been friends for so long. Not sure why I thought they'd want to hear from me. Moving on.

I sat in the parking lot of Shoppers and sobbed. The city was on fire. My city. The city I was born on and have never left. 

Then I realized I still had things to do, like get gas and get to my baby. I called my oldest sister who was headed north and said if anything happens to me just get Everly. I knew she was in good hands with my sitter but I wanted her with family in case anything drastic happened. I was still on no gas in a burning city after all.

I met up with my husband randomly on the highway and someone had told me to go to stone creek for some gas. So I drove on the side of the road just in case installed I didn't want to be a prick who stalled in the middle of the highway thousands were trying to get out on. I got to confed and told the cop I was out of gas, and he said ok but people are coming down in the same road you're going up, please be careful. 

I drove better than I have ever in my life:) into oncoming traffic! I can't even park straight. I got to the gas station just as my reserve was out so I had to be the prick in the intersection again:) with my blinkers on. Hubby went to a friends house to get a jerry can and we waited a couple hours in the line up for gas.

We parked hubbys truck in a "safe spot" and then he took over driving.
It took almost 7 hours until we were reunited with Everly. She was sleeping:) so innocent and peaceful.
I will never be able to repay my gf Tiffany for everything she did for me that day and kept my baby safe. I will always feel guilty for going to work that day.

Our friend found us a camp room but there was no linen or milk, you know the things you take for granted. And I had that feeling again. So I packed up the kids and dog again and we headed south. I tried to wake up my friends and family at the camp to tell them to come too. But no one  listened to my ramblings:)
We drove just to we were out of harms way and then slept on the side of the road, almost out of gas again. But I was relieved. We were together and safe.

We managed to get free gas in the morning and drove to my sisters house.

It was over. I got alerts from my security system my house was gone. And then I got pictures and video from my neighbour. I then made the decision with my family to send my husband and kids to PEI. This wasn't an easy decision. It wasn't me saying it would be nice to not have my kids around. I am their mother. My sole purpose in life is to protect them. Whoever says I've been selfish or reckless in sending them doesn't know me. Doesn't know that I have seen a doctor and needed a prescription just to survive my head without them. 

It's been he's. It's been hard doing the insurance stuff alone, sleeping alone, cooking for one. It's been hard having zero responsibilities but to let my dog out, and seeing my kids for a couple minutes a day. I've had nightmares and have polls for those too. I see fire and the sounds of sirens make my skin crawl. It isn't a vacation. I miss my kids. I miss my husband. I miss my house and all it stuff. 
I miss my home and just because I wanted to move doesn't make this any easier.


0 comments:

Post a Comment